As our laying chickens are approaching 2 years old, we decided this year to try to replenish our laying production and add a few more chickens to the group in hopes to keep egg production continuous. We had originally hoped our Buff Orpington chicken would go broody and would hatch us some babies, however, by the time she went broody, we had brought home the four Black Australorp/Black Star chicks. Continue reading
One side effect of clearing the field last year was the invasion of some less than welcome plants. Namely, wild parsnip (pastinaca) and cow parsnip (heracleum maximum), which are both native to the area, but also opportunistic plants that love fresh cleared and abandoned pasture land. They were probably here prior, but choked out by the years of willow growth. The RoundUp sprayed on most fields keeps them baron so these plants are not seen as much as you’d expect. In fact driving around, I only occasionally see them in road ditches. However, they are all over our property.
Despite growing up in a family with long roots (pun intended) in horticulture and working for years in landscaping, I’ve never had much love of “wild or native flowers.” I’ve always been much fonder of landscape plants, so the little beauty these plants do possess doesn’t make me any less eager to eradicate them.
And they are here! Another round of babies!! We ended up with 24 Red Broiler chicks and 2 Broad Breasted White turkeys. After our episode with our accidental, beloved Cornish Cross, “Big Bird”, we decided not to go down that road and try a different meat bird. A meat bird that is a bit less prone to problems, slower growing and good for free ranging. So that’s how we ended up picking the red broilers. Continue reading
As the days get longer the projects get more complete! We continued working at the coop for our soon arriving meat chickens and pair of turkeys. We completed the two walls with the rest of the pine tongue and groove planks and then painted it barn red.
We got the phone call Thursday saying our bees were arriving and we’d need to pick to pick them up over the weekend! Since we took the bee keeping class in February, ordered the hive (unassembled) in March, that we’d be fully prepared…Of course not!! If you’ve learned anything from reading our blog it’s that we do a lot of things last minute. The rush was on to get the hive built and painted and aired out before the bees came! Continue reading