, , , , , , ,

As the days get longer the projects get more complete! We continued working at the coop for our soon arriving meat chickens and pair of turkeys. We completed the two walls with the rest of the pine tongue and groove planks and then painted it barn red.

While I was putting second coats of paint on, Joe started on the roof. For the roof we decided to go with plastic corrugated panels from Menards.


These panels come in 8’x26″ sheets. They are pretty light weight and are very easy to work with. We had to do some cutting and a pair of shears was all we needed to cut the material how we needed it. It also has some flexibility to it so preciseness (our specialty…) was not as important.

I’d like to point out that we are building this “summer coop” under/in our old corn crib. You may think to yourself, “why would you need a roof, why not just build the walls up to the height of the existing roof?” Great question! Well, the existing roof on the corn crib is metal corrugated panels, that are old and rusty and flap in the wind. Some are missing, some have rusted all the way through and the A frames supporting it are rotted and flimsy. So replacing that roof would cost a lot more money and time and would require a professional. So we decided to just build underneath it. Therefore, going with the cheaper lighter weight, plastic roofing was a decent choice for us, since in theory, it does have some protection above it from the existing roof. Now, that being said, here are some pictures of the installation of the roof.

One thing we learned was how to properly cut around a post. There is an easy, which i think looks worse and a slightly better way which is not much more than adding an extra cut. See below:

As you can see, in the diagram above (left), and as we did at the first column, you can cut a square around the column. However, this leaves gaps and does not look as finished. The picture on the right is how we cut the rest of the roof panels when we came up to a column. This is a better fit and looks more finished.

And the roof is up and the walls are up. Now we need wire for the “enclosed run” and a door!