, , , , , , ,

Our newest adventure in livestock has proven to be bundles of warmth and joy. But this week, we got a little more than we bargained for. In a way I might be slightly thankful. They were just collecting the seeds so they wouldn’t spread and germinate throughout the field right…?


These two figured out how to cross the bridge and venture out into the field. At first I thought the white one was covered in mud until I realized Mr. Beasley looked half his size. It was burrs. Every livestock/horse owners worst enemy. This is the equivalent of pulling pounds of bubblegum out of a little girls hair. Hair that was once beautiful and soft.

I spent the week trying different things to get these buggers out. I tried corn oil. Poured corn oil all over Mr. Beasley and just wound up with a greasy sheep! I then tried every horse lover’s saving grace, ShowSheen. Nope, still didn’t work. Now I just had two annoyed funny smelling sheep. I sat down with a comb for 3 hours and was able to get Mr. Beasley clean from his head down to his chest. Although he was being a saint and was falling asleep while I picked burrs out, his patience was running out and so was my husband’s.


Off to get the scissors! I didn’t want to cut them out or shave the sheep being so close to chillier temperatures and winter around the corner so I snipped away the burrs as best I could. A few days later and they were burr free!!

To try to avoid this happening again, I ordered them some Sheep Tubes (basically a stretchy coat).


And as you would expect…it didn’t help much at all… 2 days later…

New better covering coats are on the way and me and the scissors are bonding again. These burrs are the worst thing ever! If I find a better way to avoid this situation I will post about it.