Tags

, , , ,

When we first moved to the farm there were a lot of Do-It-Yourself type repairs by the previous owner. For example, the previous owner worked at the high school as a maintenance man, so when there were holes in the barn, he used old locker doors to patch them. He also must have drank a ton of coffee because there are flattened out coffee cans nailed to the barn. At first it caused giggles between us and our reaction was: “wow, what was this guy thinking.” However, the longer we are here, the more we find ourselves doing the same type of things. Yesterday was one of those days.We just had some repairs done to the barn and were pretty excited since it was also a chance to get it raccoon-proofed. Well as you know it, within days, there was evidence that the coons were at it again, pissed off their entry holes were filled, they started pushing out pieces of wood used to cover them and managed to get one free. Done with the coon mess, my husband decided he’d just go fix it up real quick. One problem: our ladder was just a few rungs short of making this an easy job.

I watched as my husband was hammering 8″ nails into old furring strips and spreading duct tape and liquid nails over other pieces of wood. It was 60 degrees here in WI in February so I didn’t bother to ask what he was doing until he asked for my help.

My oh-so-creative husband came up with a  system to hold the adhesive-covered piece of plywood in place with some furring strips and some nails.

The idea is that he could get on the ladder, reach up with the contraption, hold it in place and then slide the furring strip out when the glue set.

He doesn’t have much patience, so of course first try was a fail. After holding it about 30 seconds of he let go and it fell to the ground. So, we decided to add two  more furring strips to the contraption, more liquid nails and nail the furring strips up to let the glue set over night before removing them.rung1

Notice in the is picture you can see the flattened coffee cans nailed to the wall….

So as we get consumed with these small hiccups and dilemmas we find ourselves relating a lot more to the previous owner and we’ve come to realize some of his questionable repairs were actually a resourceful and affordable way of doing things.

As of this morning the patch was still holding. We’ve encountered liquid nails in a few of our repairs around the house and it’s not just a creative name for Elmer’s. Once it sets removing it is no easy task – and hopefully requires more force than one coon can apply.

If we get the change to borrow another ladder, we’ll hop back up and put a few screws in. For now – problem solved.

 

Advertisements